Advanced Debriefing Course (ADC)
For experienced simulation instructors
4 days + online | This course is held at sites throughout the world. Price varies by location.
With an emphasis on debriefing skills, this course is designed to enhance and extend instructional techniques learned in the IMS Simulation Instructor Courses. Using high-leverage methods from experiential learning and organizational psychology, this 4-day intensive immersion in debriefing taught by senior Institute for Medical Simulation/Harvard Medical School faculty uses extensive practice and feedback to help attendees become more reflective about their instructional practices. The peer-to-peer feedback processes used in the course also develops participants’ ability to help other faculty within their institution improve their instructional techniques. Participants will run and debrief one of their own scenarios; learn how to use an Action Science technique to reflect on debriefings; and learn how to provide rigorous feedback on debriefings using a structured assessment tool. There will be some didactics, but mainly the course will be interactive and engaging. Your learning begins before the course starts through online feedback and interaction with faculty on the course pre-work assignments.
- Debriefing practice debriefing with feedback
- Giving feedback to colleagues on their debriefings
- Reflect on and improve debriefing using Action Science techniques
- Assessing the quality of debriefings
Completion of either the Comprehensive Instructor Workshop (http://www.harvardmedsim.org/ims-comprehensive-workshop.php) or Simulation as a Teaching Tool (http://www.harvardmedsim.org/ims-Instructor-training.php) Simulation Instructor Training courses through the Institute for Medical Simulation (IMS) (http://www.harvardmedsim.org/center-for-medical-simulation-ims.php).
Completion of either the Comprehensive Instructor Workshop or Simulation as a Teaching Tool Simulation Instructor Training courses through the Institute for Medical Simulation (IMS).
Our advanced instructor courses are tailored to your learning needs and current instructor challenges. These courses therefore require 2-4 hours of work on pre-course assignments from you. With input from faculty and peers, you prepare and submit these assignments through an online course website. Instructions for accessing the online course website are sent to participants once tuition is received.
Application Process for Advanced Debriefing Courses
- Complete the online application form offered by the host site (see course dates below) or email the contact person listed at the ADC course location you where would like to attend;
- You will receive a link to complete a Supplemental Advanced Course Application document which asks you to provide:
- A short biosketch including your simulation and debriefing experience
- Your goals for the course
- A one paragraph overview of a scenario you might like to run in the course
- Application is complete when both the online application form and Supplemental Advanced Course Application responses are submitted. Admission committee reviews your materials.
- Admission decision sent to you within two weeks of receipt of your completed application.
Offered at host site locations throughout the world
|Course dates will be posted as soon as they become available.