IMS Graduate COURSES
For those who have completed the Comprehensive Instructor Workshop or Instructor Training courses at IMS.
Graduate Course in Medical Simulation.
4 Day Workshop | $4,775
Designed to prepare leaders in simulation for challenges and opportunities involved in bringing significant reform to healthcare education. This course explores methods and tools that leaders can use to enhance and expand their simulation program.
The daily format varies and includes advanced leadership modules, advanced debriefing practice, and teaches participants how to establish their own simulation instructor training program. Evening social events provide additional opportunities for networking, fellowship and support.
Topics vary each year to include:
- Strategic frameworks and leadership tools
- Innovative ways to use simulation technology for education and assessment
- Developing effective simulation initiatives in healthcare
- Developing a simulation instructor training program at your institution *
- Advanced topics in simulation debriefing *
- Advanced topics in scenario development e.g., medical error, delivering bad news, equipment failure, ethical problems
* These two topics are taught every year and are strongly emphasized
Advanced Debriefing Course.
4 Day Workshop | This course is held at sites throughout the world - Price varies by location .
Drawing on advanced techniques from experiential learning and organizational psychology, this 4-day intensive immersion in debriefing taught by senior IMS/Harvard Medical School faculty will enhance and extend instructional techniques learned in the IMS Simulation Instructor Courses. Through extensive practice and feedback, attendees will become better and more reflective about their instructional practices. And, they will become more able to help other faculty within their institution improve their instructional techniques.
Led by highly experienced senior IMS/Harvard Medical School faculty the Advanced Debriefing Workshop combines didactic and experiential learning with practice and feedback. Participants will run and debrief one of their own scenarios; learn how to use an Action Science technique to reflect on debriefings; learn how to assess the quality of debriefings. There will be some didactics, but mainly the course will be very interactive and engaging.
- Debriefing practice debriefing with feedback
- Giving feedback to colleagues on their debriefings
- Reflective debriefing using Action Science techniques
- Assessing the quality of debriefings
Tools and Tips for Writing a Debriefing Case
If you are ready to start writing your debriefing case for an advanced debriefing session click on the links below to download our guidelines for writing a case and for a word template that can help you put your thoughts in order.
Guidelines for writing a Two Column Case
Debriefing Case Template